Flaxseed oil is not only recognized for its nutritional value. It is one of the most widely used oils in the world for the protection and maintenance of interior woods. Find out why it is so popular with hobbyists and cabinet makers.
LINSEED OIL: AN AESTHETIC AND ECONOMICAL CHOICE
Organic linseed oil is to be discovered for finishing wood. It highlights the natural beauty of the wood while giving a golden to amber color. More economical and ecological than some oils, it penetrates deep into the wood for optimal protection. It is for these reasons that Livos chose linseed oil as the raw material for its oils . It allows them to offer effective, eco-responsible and safe products.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THIS OIL FOR WOOD
For your interior wood projects, you will benefit from using this finishing oil. In addition to the covering power of linseed oil , both application and maintenance are easy to use.
The attributes that will make you choose this oil:
- 100% natural
- A satin finish
- Its golden to amber color
- In-depth protection
- The waterproof, elastic and wear-resistant finish
- The beauty of wood enhanced
- Its compatibility with most oils
WHEN TO CHOOSE THIS OIL?
If you do not have any experience in wood finishing, this oil is ideal for you! The ease and simplicity of the linseed oil finish will allow you to achieve results worthy of an experienced craftsman.
This finishing oil can be used in several contexts: furniture or floor protection for various types of wood. However, it must be applied to bare or pre-oiled wood. Any other finish, such as paint, varnish or wax, will prevent the penetration of oil.
HOW TO APPLY IT TO WOOD?
1. Gradually sand the wood surface up to 150 grit paper on floors and 180 on furniture to ensure good oil penetration;
2. Dust the surface;
3. Apply the first coat with a cotton wick (recommended) or with a brush;
4. 10 to 15 minutes after application, wipe off excess oil not absorbed by the wood. Do not forget this step: otherwise, the surface will be sticky (if you applied with a brush, there will be a lot of product to wipe off);
5. Apply 2 to 3 coats at 12 and 24 hour intervals, following the directions on the container;
6. For an ultra soft touch finish, you can pass 600 or 800 paper or fine steel wool # 000000, 24 hours after the last coat. You can also add up to 7 coats of oil for an ultra artistic lacquer finish.
The maintenance of oiled wood is generally done once every 5 years or according to the wear of the finish. When the wood appears to be dry or discolored, it is time to add another coat of oil. This involves wiping with a damp cloth, letting it dry and then spreading a thin layer that will have to be wiped off after 5-10 minutes.
For optimal protection and a natural finish, choose linseed oil for your wood projects. Find out more about Kunos Eco Oil, made from linseed oil, in our expert advice guide.